Sunday, June 10, 2012

I'm back!!

Hey everyone!

After spending the past few months hibernating in the real world, I've decided it's time to get the ball rolling again! With only three days left in the school year, I've (finally) taken the initiative to get my blog up and running again, so that you can all join me on my journey- beginning to end. As internet will be spotty along the way, I hope to create at least one new post each week.  I also plan on posting at least one photo a day via Instagram, so be sure to follow me @Sproutalicous.

For those of you who don't already know, this Friday I will be leaving my home on the Jersey Shore to head up to Portland, ME. From Maine, I will depart with 32 other young adults to begin a grande adventure across the country. This will not be any ordinary journey, but one that will take place on a teenie-weenie bicycle seat. Yes, that's right. I will be riding a bicycle from Maine to Santa Barbara, CA. All with the purpose of raising money and awareness in order to promote affordable housing in the U.S.

This cross country trek has been organized by the non-profit Bike & Build-- a grass roots organization created by young adults for young adults to spread the word of the affordable housing crisis across the country in an active way. Over the course of the past eight months, I have spent a great deal of time learning about the immense need for affordable housing in the United States, and how deeply it affects countless families. I have also completed a fundraising commitment of $4, 500. (Roughly half of the money I raised will go directly towards our efforts to promote affordable housing.) I want to thank everyone that has supported me in accomplishing this huge goal, especially my family! I would not have been able to do it without you all! My bike, Sunny Shines, and I appreciate all of your support-- more than words can describe.

Along my ride, I will pass through 14 states, spend 13 days building houses in 12 states, and will ride my bike just shy of 4,000 miles. Crazy, right? Though... after busting my buns as a full time preschool teacher in an inclusive classroom all year, this seems like nothing! Too bad I won't have my ensemble of spectacular, lively kiddies to help me sing along the way! One thing I know for sure is that I am going to miss the living daylights out of my class. If any of my families are reading this-- please become a follower so I can give your child personal shout outs. What four year old doesn't like a little publicity now and then, am I right?

Check out my cause!
http://bikeandbuild.org
 I will be riding the route: Maine to Santa Barbara. 
Check out my rider page!
http://bikeandbuild.org/rider/5613
There's still time to donate!!

Well folks, I am off to go pack-- a task much easier said than done. Check back soon! (But seriously. I will actually post this time! :-P)

Ta Ta!
Alyssa
  



No comments:

Post a Comment