Monday, March 12, 2012

Hooray for Daylight Saving!

Hello all!

(Before you dive into my post... DONATE!! http://bikeandbuild.org/rider/5613)

As I'm sure those of you who check the blog for updates have realized, I'm not exactly a frequent blogger. I tend to post when I have exciting news, so here goes...

My bike has been tuned. My chamois (bike shorts) have been delivered. I am the proud owner of a top notch helmet (safety first!). And have officially become a cyclist! This week I was able to clock a total of 20.2 miles. Mind you, those miles took a cumulative one hour-fourty five minutes to complete. I don't have a computer on Bike-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named (it's all I can call it until the naming contest is complete). This means that I don't know my top speeds, amongst other statistics that I can't even begin to name-- mostly because I have NO clue what they are... What I do know about my rides is that I rode nice and slow. For those of you who are as clueless in the cycling world as I am, learning how to ride a road bike isn't exactly as easy as hopping on a good old beach cruiser. My bike has what is called a "clipless pedal system." I will tell you right now that the name is a complete lie. You do exactly the opposite of the name: while riding a clipless system your shoes literally clip into the pedals, in turn attaching you to your bike. Literally.

Imagine riding a bike down the road, and realizing you have to stop just so you don't get hit by oncoming traffic. Then, BAM! You realize that your shoes are attached, and releasing them from the pedals requires an awkward, sideways heal thrusting motion. Sounds fun, right? Well I'm not the biggest fan of face planting. Especially with a very expensive bike. So the first 12 miles that I rode were solely to get used to clipping in and out of my pedals, and stopping and starting. Simple, but essential. I am proud to say that I have not (yet) fallen once! Key word: yet.

Oh, one more thing... I learned how challenging wind can be. I enjoyed my very first beach ride on Sunday night. The wind was blowing just shy of 20mph. Luckily, it wasn't that cold and my ride began with me heading directly into a dead south wind. My days spent sitting on a lifeguard stand in Island Beach State Park has prepared me to dread south winds. I only made it 5 mi. in, but my ride back sure was glorious! Wind at my back, minimal resistance, legs movin' like butta. It was great. Next time I won't chicken out and promise I'll make it further... Baby steps.


Okay.. this is my last comment, for sure...
**NAMING CONTEST**
We have a new contender! Watch out, Uncle Steve, Suzie and Mike! The grande Gilson Family has made their mark in the race. A big thank you to my favorite twins, and their wonderful parents! As of now, I have my fingers crossed that you make it to the finals. I can't wait to hear what kind of names the boys think of!

Thank you all for following my journey! Just remember, I might be the one who will pedaling across the country to spread the knowledge of the importance for affordable housing, but you are the ones who will get me there. This is not only a great feat for me, but for us all! I kid you not when I say we are all in this together. Now that you have been inspired....

DONATE!!!! http://bikeandbuild.org/rider/5613

Cheers!
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment