Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hoorray for bikes!


Well ladies and gents, the day has finally come! My b-e-a-utiful brand spanking new, Giant Avail has arrived. Actually, it was delivered to my house early this week. I couldn't bring myself to get excited enough to post though, being that this week was filled with 12 hour work days and not nearly enough sleep. Luckily good ol' Dad dedicated some of his free time putting her together for me. Thanks, Dad!
Along side the help of my father, the promise of safety lectures from my big bro, I owe Brielle Cyclery a big thank you, as well. This afternoon I had spent a great deal of time getting my new bike fit perfectly to my body by the experts at Brielle. Never in my life would I have expected to find a shop that not only takes the time to give you what you came in the store asking for, but also takes every possible step to make sure they are treating you exactly how they would want to be treated. The owner, Kathy, is a knowledgeable, kind, and generous woman that I am SO thankful to have met. Along with the rest of the staff at the shop, I feel as though I am a bit less hopeless when it comes to figuring this whole cycling thing out. (Trust me, I have NO clue what I'm doing.) Seriously, if anyone remotely close to Brielle, NJ ever finds themselves needing any sort of help in the world of cycling, go to Brielle Cycling. Best local bike shop ever. End of story.

In order to have been able to order my bike, I had to reach my first major fundraising goal of $1,000. To those of you who contributed to that first leg of my success, I cannot thank you enough! I especially owe Grandma a great big silent cheer (my preschooler's favorite form of applause). My outrageously wonderful grandmother has spent countless hours glued to her knitting needles creating cozy slippers socks to give as a "free" gift with donations of $10 or more. Nearly $500 has been raised due to the high need for warm tootsies. Grandma, you rock! To all of my current contributors, give yourself a great big pat on the back. You have not only provided me with the most important tool for spreading the knowledge of Bike & Build's cause: supporting affordable housing in the U.S., but also you yourself have become a part of the movement. Your contributions have helped to provide fellow American's with a home to call their own. That's pretty praiseworthy, wouldn't you say so?

So I will ask you all this one simple question: have you done anything great today? And by great, I don't mean to ask if you have cooked anything good, bought anything nice, or explored your surroundings. I am asking you if you have taken the time to think beyond your own needs. If not, I have a great opportunity for you. If you did, great. Let's do more. I know it might not feel as though you're doing much, but by donating to this cause I promise that you are. All it takes is a small donation. Give as much as you can. For some of you, that might be $5.00. Others might be able to spend $50. Whatever it is, know that that money is going directly to the well being of a fellow American. Any amount counts!

You can donate only at: http://bikeandbuild.org/rider/5613, or by mailing a cash or checks to:
Bike & Build
6109 Ridge Ave, Bldg 2
Philadelphia, PA 19128

(memo: Alyssa Cohen)


And with that, remember, "Great things are done by a series of small things brought together."


Adios,
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment