Friday, July 27, 2012

I just wanted to get sprinkled!

Every Sunday night on Bike and Build the family gathers together for Town Hall. Town Hall is a tradition that occurs on every trip. During the meeting house keeping issues are discussed and life stories and shared. Most importantly, though, each rider shares a high and low for the week. In order to keep my blogging ball rolling, I am planning on sharing a high and low for my day... So here goes. High: Erin and I were trucking along after lunch on the blistering hot Oklahoma Highway 152. We had watched random irrigation sprinklers sporadically watering the few fields of crops that have survived the horrible drought. All of a sudden we saw a sprinkler off in the distance that appeared to be watering not just the peanut plants, but the road as well! Little did we know, this would be the meanest sprinkler in the west. As we approached to be "sprinkled," the water decided to stay mere centimeters in front of my front wheel, never to drip a water on me. Mind you I was shouting with glee from the prospect of being sprinkled on, riding harder than I had been all day, and was left with my soul crushed. As sad as it may seem, it was by far the funniest thing that has happened to me in a few weeks. All I heard was Erin's sorrowful giggle, followed by our combined fit of laughter. After a brief moment of shouting at the cruel, cruel sprinkler, we turned around and approached the water's point of contact for a second chance. That time, we won. Final score: sprinkler 1, Erin and Alyssa 1. Low: Today's low point wasn't the worst in the world. It revolves around a simple realization that sleep is finally the most important thing in my day, behind riding my bike and eating cookies of course. Tonight is the opening ceremonies for the Olympics. Something that I look forward to every two years, regardless of the season. This year, I am staying in Cordell, OK- a very small town in the southwestern corner of the state. With no bars in town, and no television in our host, I have opted against venturing outside our air conditioned walls in search for modern technology. Instead, I have big plans to snuggle up in my sleeping bag, lay my head on my bright yellow camp pillow, and fall into and fall into a deep and beautiful slumber. Like I said, it is not the worst low in the world! Today was an awesome day spent watching our terrain change once again. We saw a beautiful sunrise during the start of our ride, and started venturing away from dried up farm lands. The land began to look like the southwest today, including iron rich soil, red rock and cacti. Tomorrow we will cross into the Republic of Texas and I couldn't be more excited. But for now, it's bedtime. Goodnight, America. And GO TEAM USA!!!! Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment