Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Texas Sized Build Day

Monday July 30, 2012

Low: The moment when a mutant ant crawled up my shorts and bit me while I was tearing siding off of a house at the build site. It's a simple thing to get down about, but when I say that this ant was a mutant I mean it. Have you ever heard the phrase, "Everything is bigger in Texas?" It's true. As the ant made its way up my shorts, it also decided it wanted to grab on for dear life. I didn't realize such a small insect could cause so much pain. Needless to say, I was paranoid of the outdoor world for the rest of the day.

High: Walking onto the build site in northern Amarillo and being told to grab a pair of gloves, a hammer and start tearing the siding of a home down. Just as the adrenaline of exterior home renovations set in, the local classic rock music station began to play. All 33 riders were hard at work, all while rocking out to some Elton John. With such a large group, we often find that build sites struggle to accommodate us. Yesterday was different, though. Once the siding and insulation was stripped from the home, we were put to work on de-wallpapering, ripping out the molding and removing cabinets from the kitchen. It felt great to work hard all day long.

This morning we are leaving Amarillo with hopes of a not-so windy ride into Friona, TX. Wish us luck! Oh, and enjoy some photos from the past few days- Yukon, OK through Amarillo, TX.

Cheers,
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment